Friday, December 24, 2010

Grand Market

Merry Christmas from Jamaica To Di Wurld!

Just like every Christmas, this one has been pretty crazy leading up to it. I've been really busy getting lesson plans ready for my project starting in January, and working on my wine (We've bottled 5 gallons and have another 6 at the school fermenting, and I have 8 at my apartment. That's 106 bottles total!

A few weeks ago we bottled our banana wine. It came out just a bit sweet, so it makes a great dessert wine once it's chilled. Fly down for a sample!

Today has so far been spent catching up on some housework, then a little shopping in town. The local homeless shelter houses a few dozen residents, and fellow volunteer Jerry and I are going to help out tomorrow cooking Christmas dinner.

The shelter's fearless guard dogs are ready to strike at any moment.

The homemade Christmas tree Jerry made for the homeless shelter.

No snow this year, but the stupid rain wouldn't stop until last week. I was running out of clothes, but thankfully they're all dry now.
Adrian looking festive holding an adorable likkle boy. Adrian works at the internet cafe we like to call "Peace Corps North Regional Headquarters."

Outside the cafe, kids wait to meet Santa

Jerry and I making ox tail soup and pierogi. No farmer's cheese, so we had to make do with goat's cheese, and goats are awesome, so why not? They turned out pretty damn good, and that means I get to have a little Polish Christmas of my own.

The town square with it's Christmas tree. Tonight, this whole place will be filled with people for Grand Market, an annual event where people do last minute Christmas shopping / sell some of their old things / party until late, late, late into the night. I'd like to stop by and try to pick up a gallon stainless steel stockpot (my Christmas present to myself, for my winemaking).

Thanks for the cheese, goats!

Merry Christmas to everyone from the rock. I'll be thinking of you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment